If you have kids at home, then the bathroom is one of the most accident-prone areas in your home. In children aged 1-4 years, drowning is a leading cause of death, as the bathroom is filled with areas that can prove hazardous for any child if left unattended. In this blog, we’ll be discussing various steps that you should implement to keep your child safe and secure in the bathroom.
- Supervision: Water level of up to 2 inches can be fatal for babies because it can be difficult for them to lift their heads or turn to other side, on their own. Therefore, it is advisable to never leave a child unattended in bathroom especially if child is around water.
- Keep Cleaning Products & Chemicals Out of Reach: Babies and toddlers have an innate curiosity and enjoy exploring things around them. It is advisable to keep all the cleaning supplies and other chemicals, etc. out of their reach in a cabinet or a shelf located at top or higher level so as to prevent them from reaching the cleaning supplies.
- Reset the Water Heater Level: 100 degrees is an ideal bath temperature for babies. However, water heaters at home are generally set at 140 degrees. Babies have very sensitive skin and a little increase in temperature can cause blisters or rashes on their body. Turn down the temperature regulator on your water heater to prevent any accidental leakage of hot water that may cause serious burn injuries.
- Keep Away Electrical Appliances: Just like cleaning supplies, it is advisable to keep all electrical appliances like hair dryers, curling or hair straightening irons, and any loose cords of any other equipment out of their reach. Properly warp or secure all the loose electrical cords to avoid any potential strangulation.
- Invest in Baby Safety Products: The market is filled with lots of baby safety products. Consider investikng in a bathing thermometer for kids to check the temperature of water before going in the water. Install toilet lid locks, safety latches for all cabinets. Ensure that everyone at home is practiced on locking all cabinet doors and toilet lid.
These are some of the tips that can help you prevent any child related injuries in bathroom area. Dallas Plumbing Company is a trusted name for plumbing, heating and air conditioning solutions across Dallas and nearby areas since 1903. There is no need to look any further when you can get high quality impeccable services, at affordable rates. Contact us to schedule your plumbing service today.